Hello everyone! I'm sorry I haven't posted here yet, it has been a surprisingly busy two weeks. This post will be a little longer since it'll be for two weeks. I will post pictures in this post but if you wish to see more please visit my travel Instagram page as I post a lot of photos there @grace.straughn.travels 😀
The journey was long, tiring, and a little stressful trying to make sure I could enter the country. There was no reason for me not to be able to but at the time all the "what if" situations were playing in my head. I arrived and my host mother picked me up from the airport. I was very nervous at the time worrying about whether my Japanese was going to be good enough but I found myself conversing with my host mom just fine. There were of course many words I didn't know and times I had to ask her to repeat herself but we made it work using translation apps and further explanation.
The next few days I spent time with my host family and their extended family. I met my host mother's parents and they were very kind to me. I had many super delicious foods over that weekend and continue to 😋. I made sushi with them and it was so good! I also watched Sumo wrestling for the first time on TV and learned a fun fact from my host grandma. During the sumo wrestling season, the sumo wrestlers will ride the subway and train like everyone else so you could possibly see a sumo while riding. But the more interesting part was that the hair product they use to stick their hair in place smells really bad. So, you will get on the train and smell something bad and wonder where the sumo is 😂
I also explored the area where I live and there is everything I could ever need! I live next to a large and popular shopping district which has so many different shops and restaurants so it is really convenient and nice.
The day before my university orientation I went to the most popular shrine in Nagoya, Atsuta Jinja (shrine). There I was able to experience the New Year's tradition practiced by Japanese people that I have learned about and wanted to do for so long. It was a beautiful shrine and I loved seeing all the people and food stands.
Next came orientation week. I'll spare the boring details but I was able to see and explore the campus a bit and make new friends. I went shopping with new friends and registered for classes. I luckily got into all the classes I wanted 😁
The next weekend was filled with just as much fun as the first. My host family had gotten lottery tickets to Ghibli Park, which you have to get months in advance, so I was very thankful and excited to go. Studio Ghibli makes famous movies popular around the world and has really cute characters and stories, so being able to go to the park and take pictures with the characters and in the sets was really cool. It was a really fun day and my host family is really fun to hang out with!
The next day I went to Meiji Mura, a village full of old buildings from the Meiji period (1800s-1900s), with my friend from my American university and her host family. Her little sister brought her friend as well so it was a fun group. Meiji Mura was really fascinating, seeing lots of old Japanese buildings and learning some Japanese history. My favorite part was learning about an old Japanese theatre. We learned about the seating, the usual stage plays, and then learned about the underground tunnel system used the rotate the stage and make entrances in different parts of the audience. It was so cool!
Classes then started on Monday, Jan. 16. I wasn't very nervous but we did have a review test on the first day 😅. Other than Japanese, I am taking Modern Japanese Literature where we will look at monsters, ghosts, etc. in literature, cinema, art, etc. and their development through time. I'm also taking a Teaching English in Japan class which analyzes language learning theory, English in Japan, and practical lesson creation. Lastly, I am also taking an Introduction to Business Japanese class where I will learn business Japanese language as well as manners and customs. So far they all seem very interesting and I am excited to learn more!
I also went to the movie theatre for the first time with my friend and I understood most of everything said in the movie and was able to follow the plot just fine which was awesome. The movie theatre is pretty much the same in as it is in America except they have these amazingly handy trays that fit into a cup holder like hole and holds your popcorn, snacks, and drinks! Super convenient 👍
That's all for now. I will update again next week! I will add Japanese on slowly too but it takes me a little longer to write and I don't have much free time 😅
日本語
こんにちは、みなさん!前の二週間が忙しかったから、ブログを書けなかったごめんなさい。それで、このブログポストはちょっと長くなってしまう。もっと写真が見たかったら、私のインスタを見てね。写真が多いからだよ。じゃあ、始めましょうね~
旅行は長く、つかれ、大変、日本に入られるのが心配した。現実には本当に大丈夫だったが、「何かされたら」という問題があたまにいった。着いてから、私のホストマザーが迎えに来た。最初は日本語で会話が分かるかどうかはきんちょうしていたが、大丈夫に話し合うことができた。もちろん、時々大変の場面があったが、辞書や説明を使ったら分かり合えた。
次の日々ホストファミリーの家族と一緒に過ごした。私のホストマザーの両親に初めて会って、とてもやさしい人と思う。最所の週末はたくさんとおおおても美味しい食べ物を食べ、今までも続いている。例えば、一緒に美味しいすしを作った。そして、すもう(相撲)を始めて見た。さらに、ホストお祖母さんにすもうの面白いことを教えてもらった。すもうもみなが乗る地下鉄か電車に乗る。しかし、の方が面白いことはすもうの髪の毛(かみのけ)の製品(せいひんーproduct)が大変臭い(くさい)から、地下鉄か電車に乗る時、そのにおいを嗅ぐ(かぐ)時、「ええ、すもうはどこ?」と思う。
そして、今の住んでいる所を観光し、何でも必要なものがある店があるからとても便利だと思う。大きい買い物の所が近く、美味しそうなレストランと面白そうな店がある。
オリエンテーションの前の日、とても人気があるあつた神社に行った。高校性の時からしたいお正月の伝統を経験できたから、とてもうれしかった!とてもきれいな神社で、人々と屋台を見るのが大好きだった。
次ぐはオリエンテーション週だ。つまらない詳しいのを書かないが、キャンパスを観光したり、新しい友達を作ったりできた。買い物に行って、授業を登録(とうろく)しました。すべて取りたい授業が入られて、よかった。
次の週末は最初の週末と同じ楽しかったと思う。私のホストファミリーは抽選(ちゅうせん)のジブリのチケットが勝って、ところでカ月前にもうしこまなければいけないから、とても感謝(かんしゃ)し、たのしみにしていた。ジブリの映画は世界中にとても有名、かわいいキャラクターとすばらしい話があるのから、パークに行けて、セットでキャラクターと一緒に写真を取れるのがとても楽しかった。日は楽しかった、ホストファミリーと一緒に遊ぶのがとても楽しいと思う!
次の日、友達と友達のホストファミリーと一緒に、明治時代から多く古い建物がある明治村に行った。彼女の妹さんは友達も連れて行ったから、楽しいグループだった。明治村はとても面白かったと思った。古い建物を見たり、日本の歴史(れきし)を学んだりしたからだ。私の一番好きな所は劇場(げきじょう)だった。席やふつうの発表や地下の所を学んだ。かっこよかった!
授業は1月16日に始まった。緊張(きんちょう)しなかったが、最初の日にテストがあった。日本語の以外、妖怪(ようかい)について文学の授業と日本に英語を教えるについて授業とビジネス日本語の授業を取っている。今まで、面白そうだと思うからよかった。
映画館にもはじめて行って、大体分かったからとてもすばらしかった!日本の映画館とアメリカの映画館と同じぐらいが、日本の映画館でポップコーンやおかしや飲み物を持たれて、とても便利なトレーがある。
じゃあ、それは終わりー。また来週ね~
Amazing. That movie studio looked like great fun. Congrats on your classes and thanks for the subsequent Japanese version of your English commentary. Not that I could read/undertand a word of it 😁
ReplyDelete