Hello hello. This blog covers weeks 17 and 18 in Japan, the first half of May.
May started with Golden Week, a week full of Japanese national holidays so most people get Wednesday through Friday off, so everyone was busy having a great time.
On Wednesday, I went to Hamamatsu for the annual Kite Festival, which was amazing! I am so grateful for all the opportunities I had to experience Japanese culture so far and this is one of them. The Kite Festival is held every year and it celebrates babies born within the year. So neighborhoods come together to make a giant kite for every baby born that year in their neighborhood. Once the kite is built there is one day where everyone gathers in this large field and flies the kites in the air. There were so many of them it was awesome! You could feel a great sense of community throughout the festival and there were so many people there were places it was hard to walk haha. It was by the sea and on a perfect sunny day so it was an amazing time. It was also so cute to see all the cute babies dressed up in clothes matching their kite's symbol, the symbol that represents that neighborhood.
On Thursday, I hung out with my host family and went to a delicious matcha cafe, and went shopping. It was a wonderful day 😊
On Friday, I went with my friends to Nagashima Spa Land, a huge amusement park! It was so much fun and I even conquered my fears and rodes some super big and super scary rides 😂 It was really fun to hang out with the friends I made and enjoy the day.
After the amusement park, I went with one friend to the nearby illumination area with millions of lights. It was soo beautiful! There were so many different illuminations and I had a great time.
Saturday, I had a nice chill day and a wonderful dinner with my host grandparents, and on Sunday, I went to see the new Mario movie with my friends and had a delicious clam dinner with my host family with clams caught by my host family the day before.
The next week I finished up classes and final exams, went flower viewing at a nearby park with my host grandparents, and went to Universal Studios Japan or USJ
USJ was SO much fun! I went with my old Japanese teacher from high school and we both had an amazing time. All of the different themes of the parks, rides, and shows were so entertaining and fun. My favorite, of course, was Super Nintendo World. It was just like jumping into the games! The decorations and everything were so cool and spot on it was so impressive. I even saw Princess Peach, Mario, Luigi, and Toad 😁 And of course, all of the food at USJ was also super awesome and delicious!
The next blog will be my last in Japan!
Comments
Post a Comment