Korea Weeks 6- 7: 08/01-08/05

When I wrote these blogs, though it says week 6 it's kind of week 6 and 7 so the dates got a little weird. But no biggie, onward we go. 


Tuesday, August 1st, in class we played a game called Yut, or Yutnori, which was a lot of fun learning about a traditional Korean game. I then grabbed lunch by myself, did some homework, and then had some dinner. Later, I met up with some friends to go to a late-night cafe trip for dessert. The cafe had a nice brownie ice cream which we all got. 



The next day after class, I went with a big group of people to try raw sting ray. The shop we went to usually just sells it, but since a group of foreigners was hoping to try some, they let us in their shop and prepped it for us. It was so nice of them and they loved watching our reactions. This place also had a visit from the previous South Korean president, a small world. I definitely recommend trying raw sting ray to anyone who wants a unique experience in your mouth! πŸ˜›It felt like a fume was emitted into my mouth when I bit down on it and other people's mouths went slightly numb (totally normal). It tastes almost like a cleaner fluid but a little more aquatic and it's chewier since the sting ray is mainly cartilage. You can't really fully understand until you try it! 😁

After, in the same street market, we went to dinner at a very famous and popular seafood restaurant. You walk in past the people preparing the fish outside so you know it's fresh! We had raw fish and spicy fish soup. Both were extraordinary! 

The next day, Thursday, I went to a nice cafe with my language partner and friends in a place called Penguin Village. They were known for their banana pudding (which was in fact delicious). The rest of Penguin Village was so cute with penguin paintings and themed art everywhere. Unfortunately, it was smoldering hot out so we had to leave relatively quickly. After, for dinner, I had a nice Kimchi Stew and waffles for dessert. 

Friday, we had our video presentations for half of the class but then for the other half of the class, we made our own name stamps called Dojang. The name stamps are used in Korea as a signature for paper. So, a lot of people carry their name stamps with them when they are doing business. With the supplies we received from CLS, we were able to carve our own name stamps with our own designs. It was a lot of fun and now I have a great name stamp! 

For lunch, I had Tteokguk, a soup traditionally eaten on New Year's and when you eat it you become a year older. The soup was delicious and so was the black sesame soup that looked like mysterious gray stuff. After lunch, since my friends and I knew that our time was coming to an end very quickly decided to fill our afternoon and evening with many fun activities. First, was ice skating. Ice skating is always fun no matter where I go so I had a great time. My roommate came with me and she was an amazing skater! She grew up relatively close to an ice rink so she went a lot as a kid. 


After, we went to a Manhwa Cafe, or a Manga Cafe (or or a Comic Cafe). The Manwha Cafe looked like a library but had cute little spaces for people to hang out. I ordered some ramen to enjoy while I read and had a nice relaxing afternoon/evening. For dinner, a big group of friends had a light night picnic on the lawn on campus. Usually, when you have a picnic on campus you always eat chicken so we delivered to us (the delivery motorcycle literally drove up to us on the sidewalk) and had a great feast. 

On Saturaday, I went with my language partner to an allyou can eat Tteokbokki restaurant! For those who have read all my blogs so far know that I LOVE Tteokbokki so this place was seriously heaven. We made two different dishes one with a soy sauce base and one with a regular base mixed with Busan style sauce which is a bit sweeter. They both were soooo good! I enjoyed every single bite and I was so thankful to my language partner for introducing the place to me. Not to mention it was super cheap!

After lunch, I met up with some friends and we went to build our own neon sign. It was really fun and cool and I chose to build a whale. We were there for a couple hours with fierce concentration as we built our signs so after we decided to get some Bingsu for our stomachs. Since, we were leaving soon you will hear a lot about Bingsu because we knew we would miss it so much so we got it a lotπŸ˜‚. The Bingsu was a half melon and half watermelon served in half a melon, it was delicious! Then after dessert we got dinner πŸ˜‰ We got together with some more friends to go to a nice dinner but since it was a nice dinner it was a little spendy and we ended up still being hungry after 😭 But no fret, we just went to a Papa John's and had some pizza too haha. After dinner then we got dessert (did we already have dessert, noooo). We went to Baskin Robbins and had some delicious ice cream. Lastly, we went to the same cocktail bar we went to for my birthday and had some nice cocktails and conversation. 



Stay tuned for the last bog plost for study abroad in Korea😭

Comments