JET: 08/17-08/26

 Hello GOTs (Grace's Observing Trustees), how do you do? It has been a fun week full of delicious food so let's jump right into it. 


Saturday the 17th, was a fun full day. I started the day by attending a picnic on the river 🌊🌈. The picnic was for one of the ALT's friends who likes to make friends with foreigners. So, other ALTs from neighboring cities came, and the nice old lady who teaches us Japanese every Tuesday. It was a bring-your-own bento and yet she brought a bunch of goodies to share with everyone: onigiri, watermelon, apple, a vinegrate salad, etc. The lunch was lovely and then it was time to swim! The water was the perfect temperature, the water wasn't too deep, we were slightly under a bridge so there was shade (and clouds), and the water was perfectly clear so I could look for rocks. It was perfect 😊 We swam for a long time just chilling (literally and non-literally) and chatting. 


After that, I had to clean up for the Takoyaki-Karaoke-Birthday Party. We went to a classic and popular karaoke joint in town run by, yet another, sweet older lady. She is like the ALT's grandma as I've come to learn. The Takoyaki party was so fun and there were so many people there! We all worked together to chop the ingredients and cook the takoyaki. After the takoyaki, which was a few hours, we lit sparklers, the birthday people hit a watermelon, and the karaoke part of the night started. That lasted a little while as well and then I headed home to get some sleep. 

Monday and Tuesday were prep for the Summer English Party hosted by the ALTs for some Japanese students. The party was super fun and we played a variety of games. I made some wacky sandwiches following the students' instructions which we then had to eat, but they weren't too bad. I tried the chocolate spread, banana, and potato chip sandwich and it wasn't horrible 😝. I was glad I didn't have to try the ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and banana sandwich 😩 but I was told it was not horrible as well. My favorite was the bread, half strawberry jam half orange jam, bread, chocolate spread, bread, peanut butter, and bread sandwich 😋. 

After the party, the ALTs grabbed a quick and small lunch at Sushiro, a rotary sushi restaurant, since the sandwiches didn't quite fill us, and then got back to work. 

After work, it was my and my partner's welcome party hosted by the BOE. It was awesome! 😁 It was hosted at a nice Izakaya, a bar-restaurant, and we had an amazing layout of various foods! I forgot to take a picture 😭 so you'll just have to trust me that it was decedent. The was nice beer to compliment the food and lovely conversation that made the dinner fly by. I, of course, got many questions about Alaska and enjoyed talking about my experience. Questions about the northern lights, hobbies such as fishing, four-wheeling, snowmaching, the winter, etc. I also talked a lot about my Japanese learning experience. 

After the welcome party, the youngins went over to the karaoke place I mentioned before. I sang some songs, hung out with my coworkers, and then headed out early to go to bed. 


For the next two days, Thursday and Friday, I took work off because people working at the city hall get a free 5 days (we got 4 because of when we arrived) of summer leave that does not affect your annual leave. I was only going to take one day this upcoming week to explore the city, but I was encouraged multiple times by my supervisors and coworkers to take more so I finally succumbed to the peer pressure 😂 I didn't feel the need to take time off because I just arrived and don't know anything about the surrounding area, I also didn't have a car at the time but, the day before I was able to get all my car stuff done and so I thought day one of my days off would be good for driving practice. The other day I thought I would go to a fun location 45 min south for an aquarium and whale shark feeding but, unfortunately, the was a very important meeting my partner and I had to go to to introduce ourselves to the principals and vice principals of all Shimanto City schools. 


Thursday, I started the day by learning about my car, what buttons do what, etc., then I was going to pick up my English translator sweet older lady friend a city hall but my car wouldn't move. I put it into drive and nothing. I thought I was doing something wrong because it was a button-start car and I'd never driven one before. I called my dad and asked questions, my friend came and tried to start it, and then she called my supervisor who then recruited her seat neighbor who does the cars for the BOE and we all came to the conclusion that it was the battery. The car looks and feels quite new but the battery was 5 years old and had sat for about a month. So the BOE worker came and gave us a jump and then offered to replace my battery for free later that afternoon. I was very grateful! So, until then we continued our original plan of picking up my partner newbie and heading to the English-speaking lady's favorite lunch spot. 

I understand why it is so popular! The lunch was absolutely spectacular. We got there at a good time so were able to be served first since the shop was run by one man. The lunch set was immaculate and the atmosphere was very nice, beach-themed. 

After lunch, I headed to the bank and then to the onsen. The onsen was very lovely and very relaxing. I always enjoy getting the extra tension and tightness out of my muscles and body. I then treated myself to a lavish dinner which was also amazing 😊 Unfortunately, the egg that came with the meal was one of the best eggs I've ever eaten in my life (it's unfortunate because I'm allergic). I was only going to have one bite to try it but I couldn't resist eating the whole thing. All in all, it was a very lovely evening. 

The next day, I had a slow morning and then went to the important principal meeting. I gave my introduction and apparently started a reputation (more on that later). After the principal meeting, I decided to go shopping with my newbie partner and we went to get some clothes and groceries. I bought the necessary ingredients to make No-Bake Cookies for the next day.  

On Saturday the 24th, there was an American/Mexican international food party hosted by one of the ALTs. I decided to make No-Bake cookies as they are my second favorite cookie and super easy to make, especially in my low-tool kitchen. So in the morning, I played some video games, then got on to making the cookies. 

I brought them to the party and was amazed by all of the food brought! 😲 It was a mix of Japanese people and ALTs and everyone's dishes were incredible! I really loved acquainting myself with new people and enjoying some good food. At the party, I met one the of English teachers I will be working with at an elementary school, and from her is where I heard about my rep (reputation). Apparently, the people attending the principal meeting were very impressed by my Japanese and were spreading rumors about it. So, my reputation proceeds me, I'm honored 👑 

On Sunday, I was getting my fiber optic internet installed so of course I had to test it by playing video games. I then made a mediocre dinner and went to bed. 


Monday, today, I brought my excess cookies to the BOE and they were well received and got taken around to see some of the schools I will be going to next month. 

Phew 😗💨 that was a lot. Thanks for sticking with it my GOTs, until next time 👋




Comments